BAD POSTURE = EARLY DEATH?
There was a study published in the Journal of The American Geriatric Society, in October of 2004
This study evaluated the most dangerous (and most popular) posture known to man; Hyper Kyphosis. Hyper Kyphosis is when you have a rounded back, hunched shoulders and a forward leaning head. See the picture below…
This posture stems from sitting at a desk and staring at a computer screen for many hours a day. However, don’t forget, I Phones, computers games, and other hand held devices.
Results of the study –
- 1,353 people in the study
- Participants were followed for 4.2 years
- Those with hyper kyphotic posture had a 1.44 greater rate of mortality (44%)
- Hyper kyphotic posture was also associated with death due to atherosclerosis.
- Even a mild degree of hyper kyphotic posture had a greater rate of mortality.
So – What’s the take away?
We know bad posture attributes to disease processes and early death over a period of time. The good news is Chiropractic seeks to change structure as it relates to function. So, improved spinal and postural health will positively influence all aspects of function and performance. Therefore, remember what your mother used to say “Stand up straight” or “Sit up tall”.
KNOW YOUR PROPER POSTURE
STAY HEALTHY – STAY ADJUSTED!